Mario Balotelli Undergoes Lasik Eye Surgery
The Italian striker will undergo laser treatment in his home town of Brescia on Tuesday. Balotelli, 22, has worn contact lenses to cure his short sight but allergies have forced him to give them up.
He recently suffered an abscess that led to conjunctivitis, which ruled him out of Italy’s friendly with England last month. City manager Roberto Mancini said: “Mario can’t bear to wear contact lenses any more and his operation can’t be put off. “He is feeling better at the moment but his problems could reoccur at any time.” Balotelli, an unused substitute in City’s 3-1 win over QPR at the Etihad yesterday, has been told he needs a 10-day period of complete rest after the operation. But City are hopeful he will be back for the game at Stoke on September 15. The striker was scheduled to have the op after this summer’s Euros — but postponed it so he could go on holiday. Balotelli, who scored 16 goals last season to help City win their first top-flight title since 1968, will be out of action for Italy’s upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Bulgaria on Friday and Malta next week. City’s first-team coach David Platt said: “He should be back quite quickly.”